RESCHEDULED – NOW RUNNING IN JUNE 2022
This is a three day traditional silver techniques workshop in which you will learn to make a variety of pebble jewellery using sterling silver sheet and wire and found pebbles with American jeweler and educator Molly Sharp. You will also learn how to set stones into other stones, a great technique to include in your work.
This class has been rescheduled and now runs from Friday 3rd until Sunday 5th June 2022.
Out of stock
RESCHEDULED – NOW RUNNING IN JUNE 2022
This is a three day traditional silver techniques workshop in which you will learn to make a variety of pebble jewellery using sterling silver sheet and wire and found pebbles with American jeweler and educator Molly Sharp.
Rescheduled – This class has been rescheduled and now runs from Friday 3rd until Sunday 5th June 2022.
Timings: 10am – 5pm
If you’ve ever collected perfectly smooth pebbles from your local beaches, or from around the world and wondered what to do with them, this three-day workshop is the perfect solution! Using diamond encrusted drill bits, students will learn how to drill through these pebbles and then fabricate pendants, rings, earrings and bracelets using sterling silver sheet and wire. All these same techniques may be used on sea glass, ceramics and shells.
The class will include a short trip to a local beach to collect pebbles. If you don’t have any that are suitable, you can collect some while you are here.
Students will also be instructed in the soldering process, bezel setting, stone on stone setting, forging, sawing and filing. Instruction will be given on how to fabricate simple ear wires and clasps for the ends of chains.
Who is this workshop for?
Whether you are an experienced silver worker or a complete beginner, this workshop will develop your skills in using found objects to create unique pieces of pebble jewellery. If you currently make jewellery using sea glass, ceramics and shells, this workshop could open up a whole new area for you to explore. Some of the techniques learned can easily be adapted for use with metal clay so this workshop has a wide appeal.
Although this class is designed for beginning to intermediate levels, some soldering experience would be helpful and good eyesight or magnification a must.
What are the main objectives of this pebble jewellery workshop?
You will learn how to:-
- make unique pebble jewellery
- solder efficiently
- bezel and prong set stones
- set stones into other stones
- forge silver wire and sheet
- saw and file silver wire and sheet
- fabricate simple ear wires and clasps
What is included in the price?
What you make on this class will depend on the size of the pebbles and cabochon stones you bring, your level of skill and what you choose to make. Because of this, you will need to buy silver sheet, tube, chain and wire from the tutor as you go along. The maximum cost of this if you make all the projects demonstrated will be £40. Please be prepared to pay the tutor in cash during the course.
If you prefer, you can bring the silver with you. Below you can see what is required so you can buy this before the course if you would rather do that.
What do I need to bring?
- Small, smooth pebbles measuring approximately 5mm to 3cm in diameter – or collect them on our field trip
- Ultra fine tipped permanent marker in black
- An electric or battery Dremel type tool for drilling pebbles
- Diamond encrusted drill bits measuring 1.25mm and 1.5mm – at least six of each
- One or two cabochon stones of your choice no larger than 8mm diameter in any direction, round or oval, perfectly flat on the back
Optional materials to bring – you can buy them from the tutor if you prefer
- 0.9mm round Sterling silver wire, half hard – 510mm
- 1mm round Sterling silver wire, fully annealed – 380mm
- 1.2mm round Sterling silver wire, fully annealed – 711mm
- 1.5mm round Sterling silver wire, fully annealed – 200mm
- 4mm x 1mm flat rectangle wire – 200mm
- 0.5mm Steling silver sheet – 80mm x 80mm
- Seamless tube, 6.35mm outside diameter x 5.54mm inside diameter – 51mm
- Seamless tube, 9.53mm outside diameter x 8.71mm inside diameter – 36mm
- Box chain, 1.2mm – 914
- 2.5mm inside diameter round jump rings – 2
- Fine silver bezel wire – determined by the size of the pebble